Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Back to the grind

Well, I did my interview last Monday. My former supervisor basically gave me every possible indication that the next time I heard from her would be to tell me that they found someone else... she stopped just short of saying "well, I had to bring you in here as part of our internal rules."

I just about had a heart attack on Friday. She called to offer me my old job back (basically- it's a different work list, but it's the same work). So I go back to work tomorrow, torn. On the one hand the economy hasn't improved dramatically in the last week and a steady paycheck will be welcomed. Indeed, the wife just received an email at her law firm that they're cutting back on extras and will be laying off in the next 60 days. We doubt that her position is in jeopardy and if it is, she's been there for 14 years and has worked in three departments, we're sure she'll continue to have a job. But it's disconcerting.
On the other hand, the work wasn't exactly fulfilling- in any definition of the word.

In the meantime, I've completed a custom fireplace grate for a guy. He said he wanted the wood to be able to fall into the middle. I tried to tell him that it wasn't the best idea, but who am I to argue? So there's one of the whole thing and another of one of the front corners. I tried to forge square corners but it's not a technique that I've ever been very good at (haven't had a lot of need for it). I may get into some art deco pieces in my free time (Bioshock has sort of inspired me) so square corners will become the norm.

I'm hoping to have some production knives posted within the week, too. I do need to take the time to actually do my homework. I can't goof off at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment