Thursday, January 15, 2009

Full time.... so close, so far

Last week the wife and I were driving around and I was lamenting my inability to find employment to my liking. Surprise. What did surprise me was when she told me that she'd be completely supportive of my metal work as long as I worked at it full time. Awesome.
So the weekend came and went and on Monday I spent about 6.5 hours in the shop working on a commission piece. Then a conversation I'd been working on came back to me. My former supervisor emailed me and told me what I would need to do in order to reapply for my previous job. Well, it appears that full time smithing is going back on hold. I suppose I'm not completely disappointed. The economy is basically in the dumpster and I'd say 90% of smithing work is easily considered "luxury." Even Geoff at 5 Elements Forge has been blanked at a couple of shows lately (ok, he said he'd had a bad show in October but I don't imagine he's done a lot more shows since then)... anyway his account was that guys who normally do several thousand dollars in sales barely walked away with their vendor fees.

So we'll see what happens. I don't have the job yet and I still need to actually do the application. My motherin-law passed away Tuesday night and we're in OK to take care of the funeral services. If the office is open on Monday (MLK Jr Day) I'm going in to take care of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment