Monday, January 31, 2011

Anvil update

Here's a picture heavy entry about my new anvil. My -guess- is that it's an Arm & Hammer, possibly a Trenton. This is based entirely on the rough finished heel, as there are no maker's marks on it. I did find a 5 or 6 digit serial # and there is a 6 or 9 stamped under the heel. I believe it is a 9 because I saw another anvil with a 4 stamped on it, but the 4 was upside down if you look at the anvil as it would be mounted for use. This anvil has been in use for a while and has several weld marks on the face. Too bad the welds weren't very good and have gaps. She was a "painted lady" at one time-- while I wouldn't characterize her as a prostitute (to use the terminology) she's no stranger to working hard.
I spent nearly two hours with a hard disk trying to remove chisel and punch marks from the face, and trying to make a couple of relatively flat spots. I don't honestly think I could have made things worse, and I need to post one of the photos that shows the face before I started. In the side-by-side picture all of the pink chalk on the face represents either a chisel/punch mark or roughness from exposure. I was fairly successful-- using a steel ruler to gage flatness, the gap is now about 1/16" and there are only a few deep pits remaining. The last picture in this series shows the face after a quick wipe with ferric chloride (used to bring out the areas of different hardness, as with welded layered/patterned steels). I've inquired about having the face welded and/or machined but will see if it does what I need before I go messing about with it.












No comments:

Post a Comment